I was sitting here thinking about employee engagement and it made me think about a staff meeting I had with my old ‘mentor’, Dianne Olson, at Medical Arts Press. I remembered discussing 12 questions, but could only think of one of them. Hence began my rummaging:-) And lucky for me I found the list…
These 12 questions measure the core elements needed to attract, focus, and keep the most talented employees. The first six are the most crucial.*
1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?
2. Do I have the right materials and equipment I need to do my work right?
3. At work, do I have the oportunity to do what I do best every day?
4. In the last seven days, have I recieved recognition or praise for doing good work?
5. Does my supervisor seem to care about me as a person?
6. Is there someone at work who encourages my development?
7. At work, do my opinions seem to count?
8. Does the mission/purpose of my company make me feel my job is important?
9. Are my co-workers committed to doing quality work?
10. Do I have a best friend at work?
11. In the last six months, has someone at work talked to me about my progress?
12. This last year, have I had opportunities at work to learn and grow?
*First, Break All The Rules
Marcus Buckingham & Curt Coffman, 1999
The Gallup Organization