NYS to cut $240 Million from Voluntary Service Providers for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities
Please let Governor Cuomo and the NYS Assemby that these proposed cuts will decimate the program offered through the Voluntary and Not for Profit providers in NYS. Over the past three years, New York has cut almost 9% from these same programs, about $350 million. This current proposed cut would push already cash strapped agencies over the edge, requiring a cuts to programs that will directly impact services to the states most vulnerable citizens. The cuts to program and services will invariably create concerns in program quality and even potential Health and Safety risks as agencies are forced to prioritize increasing needs with diminishing resources.
All of this from the same Governor that spearheaded the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. This program was specifically designed to improve protections and the quality of care for the most vulnerable of New Yorkers. These two platforms are incompatible with each other. Please tell the Governor Cuomo that the proposed cuts are unacceptable if he truly believes in the ideals espoused by the creation of the Justice Center.
Follow the link below to sign a petition supporting the restoration of these cuts:
You can also contact your member by telephone:
1. Aileen Gunther, Chair of the New York State Assembly Mental Health Committee: 518-455-5355
2. David Carlucci, Chairmen of the New York Senate Mental Health and Disabilities Committee 518-455-2991
3. Senator Schumer : 1-202-224-6542 or email Senator Charles E. Schumer
4. Senator Gillibrand : 1-202-224-4451 or email Senator Kristen Gillibrand
5. Your Member in the House of Representatives: Call the Capitol Switchboard at 1-202-224-3121 and ask to be transferred to your Congress Members Office. If you don’t know who your Member of Congress is, ask the Switchboard operator or go to www.contactingthecongress.org and fill in your address to get the phone number and email of your representative.
6. President Obama: call the White House Comment Line at 1-202-456-1111 or the White House Switchboard at 1 202-456-1414. If the lines are busy, please keep trying! Keep hitting the redial button!